Feb 6, 2008

About


A lot can happen in a week. Just seven days to turn our world upside down. Last week I noticed a tumor on Oscar’s armpit. What started out to be a difficult surgery for removal of the tumor has turned into a nightmare. During presurgery lab tests, Oscar was suspected of Cushing ’s disease. Two more days of testing confirmed the disease.

If not treated Cushing’s disease can be a painful disease for a dog. Treatment is available that enables them to live a happy productive life, but it is very very expensive. Oscar is being treated at the University of Missouri Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital. The first year costs are expected to exceed $2500. Medicine will cost over $2 a day and excludes lab tests estimated to run $2000 the first year. The tumor under his armpit will still need to be surgically removed when the Cushing’s is stabilized with the surgery estimated at $1500.

Asking for help does not come easy to me, but for Oscar I will ask. I’ve had Oscar since he was 8 weeks old. Oscar is now an adorable 8 year old shih tzu. He is not only my dog, he’s my friend and companion.

Because I feel like a complete ass for asking for something for nothing, I’m going to borrow an idea from an online friend and promise that when I can, little by little I will pass the donations on in kind, to animal charities and other pet owners in need.

An online store has been set up to purchase items with the proceeds going to Oscar’s care. If you would like to donate a couple dollars for a day of his medicine, donations may be made on this website or directly to the University of Missouri Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital. To ensure the donation goes towards Oscar's bills and not into the general fund please write Oscar # 384489 in the memo of your check and print out this form and include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment